Skip to content

One Week Already?! Part 1 of 2

November 8, 2007

Hello all! Momma and Lucy are good.  Actually we are better than good…we are great!  I am so thankful for the grace God bestowed upon us.
Here are a couple of one week pics of our Lucy.  It is amazing how fast they can change.

So you want to know how it went I suppose?! 🙂  In one word – AMAZING!  I can’t say that enough when it comes to describing this experience.  I have to say that I was quite skeptical that I was really in labor Tuesday night since I had had several other evenings where I had contractions for 2 & 1/2 hours or so and then it would die down.  I’m not sure at what point I was convinced that I was really in labor other than when it was time to leave for the hospital and even then I was asking Brian to really time the length of the contraction.  Funny now that I look back.  I found the whole evening quite entertaining.  I kept laughing at a number of different things.  The first was at about 10 pm when I had had some strong contractions starting at 9pm that halted me while talking a bit.  I came upstairs to find Brian’s bag on the bed packed and he was trying on his clothes to lay out for the trip to the hospital.  All the other nights, he was not convinced, but this one for some reason he was 🙂  He had asked me if I really couldn’t talk through the contractions or if I was just you know…I laughed. The next amusing thing was how exact the contractions came.  I slept from about 10:30 to midnight without interruption.  At midnight they were coming every 10 min, but I could sleep through in between.  I found it quite odd that I was told to sleep in between and I thought ‘how is that possible?’…well apparently it is.  Somehow I fell right back asleep and when the contraction would come I would reach over and ‘smack’ Brian awake to apply pressure to my lower back to offset the pain.  I realized a few nights earlier that ‘smacking’ was necessary as I had asked him to time contractions on another night and when he turned out the light after one contraction and he was OUT.  I asked him to start timing and he was like ‘did you say something?’ ‘huh?’  A little late at that point 🙂

Now it is 2 am and the contractions have changed to 7 mins apart still sleeping in between.  At least each hour I would urinate and would have a couple close together- that was intense!  At about 430am Brian and I started talking that maybe about 5am we would see another change to the 5 min apart ones and that after about 30mins of those we would call his parents to come over to our house to take care of the girls.  Well, I went to the bathroom again and hurried to the bed to have 3 contractions really close together and VERY intense. It is about 5am and my Mom, sleeping downstairs, heard me moan or something and ran upstairs to check what was going on.  She times them and they are 1-2 mins apart.  Brian asks ‘what about the 5min apart ones?  Can it just skip that?’  I was wondering that myself.  The rule to get on the road from our DR and Doula was contractions 5min apart for an hour.  My Mom replies ‘apparently, it can’, because now they are coming steadily at 2mins apart and I am quite amused that it skipped that.  Brian calls his parents to get them up and ready and to come over and his Mom was already in the shower.  She had awoke at 5am having a feeling that something was going on and so decided to get ready.  How amazing is that!?  So Brian and Mom packed the car with our labor bag(tools for laboring in the hospital) and our hospital suitcases.  Brian was of sound mind to have me wait for a contraction before heading downstairs to leave so that I wouldn’t be laboring halfway down as I felt the best position was on all fours.  Good idea since I had another as I came to the bottom of the stairs and the in-laws were there just as planned!  It took me about 2 contractions to get into the car all the while Brian’s Dad saying – ‘Son, better get on the road now!’  I found it so amusing that it was taking 4 people coordinating to get me out to the car, remove a car-seat, and not forget a bag or something.

Now we have a 40min car ride to get to the hospital.  Somehow…it only took 30min to get there! 🙂  The car ride was pretty uneventful other than the nausea and steady contractions and me praying that I don’t get the urge to push while riding.  My Mom told me later that she was reviewing child birthing in a car in her head!!  Okay, please allow me to finish out this story in another post since it getting long and I need to get to bed!  I don’t want to spoil the naps that I got to take extra today!! More on that later too.

3 Comments leave one →
  1. WonderGirl permalink
    November 9, 2007 8:28 am

    Hey, in part 2, do include whether or not you found the hypnobirthing techniques useful! I mean to ask you that and I keep forgetting.

    Can’t wait to hear the thrilling conclusion to the Lucy Story! 🙂

  2. November 9, 2007 10:38 am

    Ooooh, do tell more!!! I can’t wait to hear the rest! I love this kind of stuff 🙂

  3. November 11, 2007 5:10 pm

    Your labor sounds really wonderful, so far! Inasmuch as labor CAN be wonderful! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: